December 23rd, 2005 by rbanks
Things I’m learning from the first few days of caring for Madeline:
- Kids poo comes in a range of colors, textures and odors.
- The stump of the umbilical cord doesn’t just shrink away, it drops off (glad someone warned me that’s coming…).
- It doesn’t really matter the size, pretty much everything will “fit” a baby.
- Lots of stuff about what breasts are REALLY for.
- Our baby likes head massages (as does Shannon).
- Watching a baby transmitter for signs of life (i.e. the smallest flicker of an LED) can make you paranoid.
- There are no “rules” for caring for your baby, only “things to try”.
- You can find someone’s personality in the smallest movement. Or even stillness.
- Even a big baby is really small.
- You can’t avoid being biased about how beautiful your own child is.