December 31st, 2005 by rbanks
Like a lot of people, I keep a list of Favorite songs on my iPod. At the moment it totals 97 songs. It’s not literally every favorite in my collection. I’ve mainly added to the list when I’ve heard something I really like, so it’s by no means definitive. And it is focused on more recent music, rather then everything in my collection.
I thought I’d finish the year with at least ONE “best of 2005″ list based on this list. You have to do at least one Best Of at the end of the year, don’t you? This one is less about songs that were literally released in 2005, but more about songs that I still really like at the end of 2005, or discovered in 2005.
So here are the 10 from that list that I like the most. If you’re interested in the whole list it’s here.
1. Love Me Like You by the Magic Numbers from the album Magic Numbers. I’ve seen the Magic Numbers live two times in the last year and a bit. They carry so much energy. Great pop.
2. Let Go by Frou Frou from the album Details. I think I found this one through last.FM before buying the whole album..
3. Naked As We Came by Iron & Wine from the album Our Endless Numbered Days. Really excellent band. This one was found through the Sub Pop podcast before I started buying complete albums.
4. Mr Brightside by the Killers from the album Hot Fuss. Awesome, awesome song. And band. Great performance at Live 8. The only one I actually saw.
5. Glenn Tipton by Sun Kil Moon from the album Ghosts of the Great Highway. Don’t know where I found this album. This first track is haunting.
6. The Pioneers by Bloc Party from the album Silent Alarm. I think I had Bloc Party recommended to my by Ario at about the same time I found it on WebJay. Awesome band.
7. Feel Good inc. by Gorillaz from the album Demon Days. I’m late to the Gorillaz game, having never listened to the first album. I have now, but think this second album is quite a bit better.
8. Forever Never by Maerz from the album Wir Sind Hier (thanks to Ario for this one from one of his mixes. Full album is great, too. I’m confused whether they are called Marz or Maerz. I had more luck looking for their songs using Maerz.
9. Up All Night by Razorlight from the album Up All Night. Another Brit Rock track. I can’t separate this band from the Killers, really. Same kind of sound (to me). The Killers just have the edge.
10. He’s Just Like Me by The Proclaimers from the album Born Innocent. I have a soft spot for the Proclaimers. I remember listening to them during art class at school in about ’87. I love how Scottish they sound, how harmonic they are and how great their stories are.
Ah, who am I kidding? In compiling this top 10 I realised I haven’t even got songs from some of my other favorite albums of the year into my Favorite songs list, let alone then on to this list. So, it’s all highly unscientific and in a state of evolutions. Bands like the Editors, Wire Daisies, Syd Matters and so on should probably at least be competing, but they’re not. Still, it’s a list. And I got it in before the end of the year.
If you’re interested, there’s yet another list of albums I’ve bought recently on my wiki…