Archive of activities, continued from my About Me page.
This is mostly here so I can remember my past!
- December 2010. Talk at the Evolve gaming conference in London on what the gaming industry could learn from interaction design. Interview on casualgaming.biz.
- December 2010. Interview on Radio New Zealand’s This Way Up show about Digital Heirlooms. MP3 here.
- November 2010. Interview on BBC Radio 4’s All In The Mind show, about digital reminiscing and technology heirlooms. Also written up in the BBC News Technology section.
- October 2010. Backup Box featured in the November issue of Stuff magazine’s “Next Big Thing” section.
- September 2010. Article entitled Reciprocity, deep storage, and letting go: opportunities for designing interactions with inherited digital materials published in Interactions magazine, with Will Odom and Dave Kirk.
- September 2010. Reprised my “40 Year Old Tweet” IXDA talk for the IXDA London local community.
- July 2010. Presented Technology Heirlooms at the Royal Institute in London during 15 minutes very generously offered by Gordon Bell as part of his Friday Evening Discourse presentation.
- April 2010. Co-organized “HCI at the End of Life” workshop at the CHI 2010 conference (Massimi, M., Odom, W., Kirk, D., and Banks, R. HCI at the end of life: understanding death, dying, and the digital. Proceedings of the 28th of the international conference extended abstracts on Human factors in computing systems, ACM (2010), 4477-4480.)
- March 2010. Keynote at Microsoft’s Digital Agency Event at the Paramount Club at the top of CentrePoint in London.
- March 2010. Showed work at Microsoft’s annual Techfest event.
- February 2010. Speaker at Interaction 10 conference in Savannah, GA. “The 40 Year Old Tweet”. View my talk.
- May 2009. Made a Fellow of the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (FRSA).
- January 2009. Speaker at PSFK‘s Good Ideas Salon in London. View my talk.
- November 2008. Speaker at Vort-Ex 2008, a fully online conference about Microsoft technologies.
- November 2008. Part of review committee for CHI 2009 and TEI 2009.
- October 2007. Keynote Speaker at the Italy leg (Milan) of Microsoft’s design-focused Expression Around the Clock event. (My thoughts on the event are here).
- September 2007. Doctoral Colloqium Panel Member at ECSCW 2007in Limerick, Ireland. Also showed BubbleBoard as part of the conferences demo track. (My thoughts on the conference are here).
- July 2007. Speaker at the International Energy Agencies workshop on Energy Efficient Set-Top Boxes & Digital Networks. Presented a vision for consumer electronics in 2007.
- May 2007. One of three judges for the Student Design Competition at CHI 2007. (my summary is here).
- February 2007. Presented work of the team to members of the press and to Microsoft employees at Microsoft Research’s annual TechFest. (my summary is here).
- November 2006. Presented work of the team to Matti Vanhanen (the Prime Minister of Holland), Janez Potocnik (European Union Commissioner of Science and Technology) and other members of the European Parliament at Microsoft’s Innovation Day event in Brussels (see my summary here).